Saturday, May 31, 2014

#YouMatter Day


A few weeks ago I saw my friend, who is the art teacher at my school, post on one of her mentee's Facebook about how awesome she was.  Earlier that day I had read Todd Nelsoney's blog about a #YouMatter day he did in his class. It was super easy and had a lot of potential. I put it in the back of my head as something I could do.

Then when I saw the Art teacher's post I jumped in and suggested that we do a #YouMatter day at school. They jumped on and next thing you know there was five of us sitting in the art room Monday morning planning it. 

The plan was simple. I outlined what Todd Nesloney did and sent out links to Angela Maiers' Tedx talk. Then we waited until May 27th, last Tuesday. That morning I had several excited teachers stop by to thank me for the idea (which I totally just stole). That morning my kids watched the video, discussed noticing people who are making significant contributions, and started writing letters. 




At one point a fifth grade teacher brought his entire class to my room, came in, and modeled how to deliver a letter.  This was awesome! Not to mention the inspiring letter he wrote to me. 

I had planned on getting my students to sign the #YouMatter wall that our art teacher put up at lunch time.  However, they had to squeeze in because the paper was full by lunch! There was even a line to sign the poster!


As the day progressed there were teachers from first through fifth grade participating. Just think, as a third grade teacher, I matter to students is 1st-5th grade. One of my favorites thanks me for dressing up as Ash Ketchum for our global field day (to represent Japan). He said it helped restore his love of Pokemon. 

Letters continued to trickle in throughout the week. Teachers began discussing how to leverage this new found motivation. Here are some pictures of what two fifth grade teachers were inspired to do. 
What a great day! When will you schedule your #YouMatter day?


No comments:

Post a Comment