Sunday, May 4, 2014

Project or Worksheet? Augmented Reality in my classroom and more

This week I had students watch some instructional videos on Fractions.  Specifically equivalent fractions, whole numbers as fractions, and comparing fractions with the same denominator.  When they arrived in class if they had completed their notes they were allowed to choose.  If they did not do the assignment they had to complete it and work on my "worksheet".  Now the two choices were what I call a project and a worksheet.  The project one day was for them to create 5 examples of equivalent fractions including a model and number line (Here is an example of one creating 3 examples comparing fractions).  The worksheet choice was to complete an assignment on ScootPad related to the same topic.  It provided students two ways to show mastery. It allows them to show mastery in a way they choose, but isn't a project where they present to an authentic audience nor is there a driving question.  If I can find a way to make these project more authentic it would help improve student learning.

I feel like the project piece of this assignment needs some work.  I'm wondering how to strengthen it and make it better, but still something kids can get done in a day or two.

What I'm going to try to do next is make this work for part of my reading block.  Introduce the skill, and have students work on a project or worksheet.  The problem I found last week is that most students chose worksheet.  If they chose project they ended up wasting time or got distracted and didn't finish the project therefore never demonstrated mastery.  I think I need to do daily mini lessons in this that model the type of work and thinking for a project instead of a worksheet.  Then my students will see the skills modeled daily and be able to apply those skills to their work.

Also this week students have finished planning our bulletin board for global field day.  I plan on making it interactive with Augmented Reality.  I also need to come up with an Augmented Reality scavenger hunt before the end of the year using Aurasma.  Does anyone have any advice on where to start with that? Tips or tricks I can use to avoid any pitfalls? 

My next question is how can I improve my blog?  What should I change about the layout?  My goal is to change or add a few things a week.  I still need to find a specific direction for this blog.  Maybe add in some pages.  I started on this to become more connected and reflect.  I am doing both of those things right now.  How can I improve?

3 comments:

  1. Great post, I like your approach I think it is great that you give students the option of a worksheet or project. Perhaps u could break the topic down into smaller chunks, maybe having to create 5 examples sounds to much too them?
    As a maths teacher I would like to see your worksheets and if possible any students project work.
    Don't worry about the layout of your blog, I am sure it will evolve naturally as you post more.
    This is great work so please keep posting, I am just trying to start using Augmented Reality so I am excited to see what u produce. Thanks again for sharing.
    Damian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damian,

      Thank you so much for feedback. I really appreciate it! Well my worksheets aren't actual pieces of paper. They are webpages with drill and practice type activities. Most of the time I use www.scootpad.com. This allows me to link a CCSS to an assignment and let students practice on that skill. I also added in a link to a picture of student work comparing fractions in the blog post.

      Thanks,
      Mr. Donnelly

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, one idea for you - what about using Aurasma as an incentive to students who complete the project rather than the worksheet. I am planning to use Aurasma with there notebooks (I teach 11-16 year olds) where they will talk over there creations and explain their reasoning. I will have to check out scootpad, thanks for sharing the pupils work, they look great. Thanks again Damian

    ReplyDelete